[Mageia-dev] Finalizing update process

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Jun 9 00:09:29 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 08 juin 2011 à 20:39 +0300, Ahmad Samir a écrit :
> On 8 June 2011 18:57, Christiaan Welvaart <cjw at daneel.dyndns.org> wrote:

> > So who decides to reject an update and at what point? According to your
> > proposal, either QA people decide this or they waste time on updates that
> > later get rejected.
> >

> IMHO, rejection reasons:
> - The sec team doesn't think the update fixes a serious security
> vulnerability; so it's not updates but backports

I would say that there is no version upgrade, unless exception.

> - The QA team couldn't validate, i.e. using the test case in the bug
> report, their test results didn't show that the bug is fixed

Yup.

Or someone detected a regression.
( like 'I installed foo-1.0-1 but it opened a dimensional vortex to
hell', as it happened on the QA testing facility of Phobos in Doom )

> >> - QA manage the checks, and so will requires help ( hence the security
> >> team or any packager can help, provided they know how to do QA )
> >
> > So a packager wants to fix a bug in package that is not very visible, sends
> > it to QA, then has to test it anyway? I'm not sure what you're saying here.
> >

> Not the packager committing the fix, (if he doesn't think it's fixed
> he won't ask for an update to begin with).

Yup :)

> But the QA team, this team
> could/should have packagers in it.

Or someone could help by doing QA and saying "so far, I see no
regression", or just saying "I see regression" before some more
experienced QA member do the test.

--
Michael Scherer