[Mageia-dev] Finalizing update process

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 9 11:05:16 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Ahmad Samir at 08/06/11 22:48 did gyre and gimble:
> On 8 June 2011 23:38, Stew Benedict <stewbintn at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, that depend on the way package is built. In fact, it should not
>>> matter much, as we should not do a change that could break a existing
>>> software in update, and so this should be the same in updates_testing
>>> ( ie, they should be the same wrto ABI )
>>>
>>> But that's also why I ask here :)
>>>

>> If you're going to rebuild *after* QA, you've just invalidated your QA.
>> (yeah, I know it *should* be the same, but stuff happens)
>>

> You're right (even if that's never happened for 3-4 years in mdv,
> since sec team rebuilt the packages when pushing to */updates IIRC).

Personally, and this might just be me, I always submit my packages to
*testing with a subrel of 0.1, 0.2 0.3 etc etc. Users then test my
various iterations. When I'm happy and when it's ready to pass to QA, I
set the subrel to 1. This way the final version that should hit updates
is nice and neat.

In an ideal world, QA would validate it for me then change the subrel
for me. That process would require a rebuild.

I'm not sure what others feel about this? It's not impossible to just do
this as a matter of course as part of the process we go through and
increment subrel to a round number before handing over to QA... although
maybe I'm just a bit too anal about neat version numbers :p

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]