[Mageia-dev] Problems with Gnome 3

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Thu Jun 9 11:20:10 CEST 2011

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:54:54 +0200, Dexter Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/6/9 JA Magallón <jamagallon at ono.com>:
> > Hi all...
> >
> > I have a problem with this first big change in Cauldron...
> > I have a couple test boxes in which I have updated everything, and I can't
> > get Gnome 3 to work properly. I suppose it is still work in progress, but as
> > other people sent messages telling this or that application doesn't work...
> >
> > I can't even get an application to launch. I log in, get gnome-shell running,
> > but:
> > - no applet is shown in the bar. and they are there, i can press moue button
> >  on right menu, hover it over there and the volume bubble pops, but I see no
> >  icon on the bar.
> > - if I select "System settings" o launch firefox, immediately I get a fullscreen
> >  error about "something went wrong, plz logout and in again"
> >
> > I suppose probably I miss some depdency not correctly handled, but I can not
> > guess what.
> >
> > Any ideas ?
> >

> Hi,
>
> sorry  i forgot to tell that it was in WIP :/
>
> so first accept my apologize.

No need, Cauldron is Cauldron. The only strange thing is that I had
heard on other threads that update to Gnome 3 was being discussed,
but never realized it had finally agreed on.

> Then, yes there is still missing pieces, i try to get them today.
>
> can you give the exact error messages please ?

Bah, no real useful message, a full gray screen with:

Oh, no, something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover
Please log out and try again.
[Log Out]

BTW, perhaps it is useful: gdm has no background, so perhaps it is
a problem connecting to dbus/gconf or the like.

> have you tried to install gnome-shell and in kdm/gdm to choose Gnome3 ?

Yes, it is installed and launches. But looks like there are things missing
(icons, applets, do not know...).
In last test it just gave me the error just after switching to a vt,
uninstalling the old .7 kernel that was still around, and switched back
to X.

This is .xsession-errors:

/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- /usr/share/X11/xdm/Xsession GNOME3
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/magallon/.config/autostart/xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: could not read /home/magallon/.config/autostart/xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/magallon/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: could not read /home/magallon/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/magallon/.config/autostart/xfce4-firstrun.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: could not read /home/magallon/.config/autostart/xfce4-firstrun.desktop
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/magallon/.config/autostart/user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: could not read /home/magallon/.config/autostart/user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/magallon/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: could not read /home/magallon/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k/gpg:0:1
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k/ssh
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-7QUy3k/ssh
Window manager warning: Workarounds for broken applications disabled. Some applications may not behave properly.
Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita

    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring NetworkManager, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'NetworkManager' (any version) not found
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '("Requiring NetworkManager, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'NetworkManager' (any version) not found")@gjs_throw:0
@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/status/network.js:8
'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'Requiring NetworkManager, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'NetworkManager' (any version) not found'
      JS LOG: NMApplet is not supported. It is possible that your NetworkManager version is too old
      JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Thu Jun 09 2011 11:17:05 GMT+0200 (CEST)

(gnome-shell:6580): GdmUser-WARNING **: Unable to load CK history: no seat-id found
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception in callback for signal: activate
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'app is null'
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '250'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/statusMenu.js'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '([object Object],[object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/statusMenu.js:250
([object Object],[object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:110
_emit("activate",[object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/signals.js:124
([object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/popupMenu.js:95
([object _private_Shell_GenericContainer],[object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/popupMenu.js:68
([object _private_Shell_GenericContainer],[object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:110
'
gnome-session[6411]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-shell.desktop' failed to register before timeout

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:6718): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject

** (bluetooth-applet:6720): WARNING **: Could not open RFKILL control device, please verify your installation
Failed to play sound: File or data not found
** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area

(gnome-settings-daemon:6548): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Window manager warning: Log level 16: gnome-shell: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

gnome-shell-calendar-server[6586]: Lost (or failed to acquire) the name org.gnome.Shell.CalendarServer - exiting
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
** Message: Got disconnected from the session message bus; retrying to reconnect every 10 seconds
** Message: <info>  disconnected by the session bus.

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>     \                 Winter is coming...