[Mageia-dev] Problems with Gnome 3

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Jun 10 14:59:58 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 à 07:20 -0400, Frank Griffin a écrit :
> On 06/10/2011 06:46 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > While I have no issue with gnome-shell, I have read enough reports of
> > people not happy with it to know we would head to a 2nd kde 4.0 story.
> > So maybe we could start to learn from the past and discuss with users to
> > explain the update, see why they do not want etc, instead of being
> > purely focused on "it is cauldron, let's update everything".
> +1
>
> 3 is rumored to have a lot of ideological change, and probably the usual
> GNOME removal of working stuff that people expect to be there (GDM
> config).

The gdm config is more a missing feature due to rewrite not finished
than a removal. I am running gnome 3 since 1 month, and I didn't even
used a extension to change anything.

My main issue is more that not everything is finished ( like I miss the
timezone clock stuff to see when to call on USAs and rest of Europa )

And again, most changes in gnome-shell are justified in the light of
newer computing experiences ( tablet, touchscreen ) but whatever people
do, there is a transition period. There is a few discutable decision
( the alt key to poweroff being the one ) but I think there isn't much,
when compared to the others good changes.

--
Michael Scherer