[Mageia-dev] [RFC] Removing .la files

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Fri Jun 10 17:56:12 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 17:34 +0200, Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
>  If people are using a system with gnome
> installed to develop gnome, it's not strange they run into problems.

This is nonsense, sorry.  It's no stranger than a KDE-user wanting to
recompile kwrite or krita.

> And I
> wonder why they would have gnome related -devel packages installed in the
> first place, they're not needed to *use* the system software.
Because they're developing.

For example, I'm involved with the GIMP project (GIMP is an image
editor), but I don't want to compile my own gnome, not all of it, so I
have enough of the -devel packages to compile just what I need (libbabl,
libgegl and gimp, basically).  I currently need the .la files so that
configure and libtool will find them, since I'm building in a private
prefix, not overwriting the system gnome of course... although that need
for .la files may change in the future.

Successful Linux distributions have communities of developers around
them developing applications. It's not only about high priests of Linux
and "users" who don't compile anything... :)

Liam