[Mageia-dev] "Job offer" : mentoring program coordinator

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Sun Jun 12 17:58:20 CEST 2011

Le dimanche 12 juin 2011 17:43:38, Daniel Kreuter a écrit :
> Hello Samuel,
>
> the offer sounds nice. Maybe I can give it a try?

I feared I would get no volunteer, so I sure won't say no ! I just want to
wait a bit just in case there would be several volunteers, but I'm really glad
you proposed your help :)

> What do I already have in my mind?
>
> - Creating a table on Mageia wiki where someone who wants to be mentored
> can put his name on, + the date he enters his name (so we can see how long
> he's waiting for a mentor)
> - A table with all available mentors and the actual apprentices

Those already exist but need to be maintained because they're often out of
date :  http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=packages_mentoring

But this page must not be the only place where you should look for
apprentices. IIRC the standard procedure is to create a mentoring request on
bugzilla (or is it only to ask for an account ?), and we must not forget those
who ask in the mailing lists.

> - On a regular base asking the mentors if they can mentor someone new or if
> his apprentice is ready for a full membership

This would be great yes.

> - Regular meeting where everyone can vote for a full mentorship of an
> apprentice

I don't know if this is needed in your "job", because AFAIK each mentors
decides alone when his apprentice is ready.

Best regards

Samuel