[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

lebarhon lebarhon at free.fr
Mon Jun 13 18:29:14 CEST 2011

Le 13/06/2011 17:37, Dale Huckeby a écrit :

> The consensus so far seems to be:
>
> 6 months is too short
> 12 months is too long
> 9 months is juuuuust about right

You have to choose your public, 6 months is for geeks, 12 months is for
everybody, these people who aren't IT technicians.
The installation of the new release is always something dangerous and
worrying because there is always the codecs, the nets or some
applications without rpm package. Moreover, the hardware evolution is
slowing down and doesn't need so closed together releases.
I would prefer devs doing more different things less often that devs
doing more often the same things, that isn't going ahead. Take care
also, not developing things without any documentation, let this
specialty to KDE.
I would like also that devs give more importance to the installation by
update than to the new installation  (too much work to configure, desk,
mail, ML, nets, backups, specific applications to be installed by hand
like Geneanet or Rawtherapee...)
For all that, 12 months is already very short.

Lebarhon