[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Sam Bailey cyprix at cyprix.com.au
Tue Jun 14 01:50:12 CEST 2011

 On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:37:25 -0500 (CDT), Dale Huckeby wrote:

> +1
>
> The consensus so far seems to be:
>
> 6 months is too short
> 12 months is too long
> 9 months is juuuuust about right
>
> and that applies not only to developers having a chance to catch
> their
> breath between versions, but
> users too. A 6-month turnaround feels like I'm constantly updating,
> but a
> 12-month wait between
> versions is like forever. And as wobo suggests, 9 months need be only
> an
> average, with a target date
> for the next release, taking into account upstream developments,
> decided
> on after each one. Also,
> the target date should be approximate at first and firmed up only as
> we
> get closer to release.
>
> spock

 +1

 9 months seems to create a nice stable base - with enough time to add
 new
 developments and breathe between releases (along with kernel updates
 for
 new kit).

 My suggestion is that for those who want faster access to new versions
 of
 apps will be able to create a larger focus on backports for large and
 common apps (from cauldron) without taking the focus away from the 9mth
 release cycle.

 This slightly extra use of backports may also help with the LTS
 proposals.

--
 Sam Bailey
 (cyprix)