[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Thorsten van Lil tvl83 at gmx.de
Tue Jun 14 09:25:30 CEST 2011

Am 14.06.2011 08:48, schrieb Oliver Burger:
> Thorsten van Lil <tvl83 at gmx.de> schrieb am 14.06.2011
>  > An Upgrade is nearly the same, than reinstalling. The difference is
>  > only, that you can use your system in the mean time and you are
>  > not forced to install the missing packages.
>
> And you keep all your precious settings and databases and webroots and...
>
> And of couse the software you did unstall outside of the package
> management (proprietary stuff,...).
>

> And a bit to the argument of having to install loads of software at the
> same time: When some basic libraries are upgraded, loads of software
> have to be rebuilt against them, so with the rolling aproach you will
> just get that massive upgrades more often, so where is the bonus in it?

For sure. No matter what release model you want to take, if you want an
up to date system, you have to update (if this is your counter
argument). But it's a different if I have to update everything (~3GB) at
once or if I have to update ~100MB in a week. And it's a difference if I
have to wait for the software 1/2 year or just a month (if I only want
to use official supported repos).

> If people want to have their software more up to date, use backports

Backports aren't supposed to be for the averaged user and shouldn't be
used to bring the half of your system up to date. We could rework the
backports and than officially support them (wouldn't this solve also the
issue with new packages in mga1?). But than we have almost 2 different
release models. I'm not sure this is what we want.

Well, Oliver. You are a packager. I'm not. Our menpower is the
restriction in the whole discussion. If it isn't, we could provide every
thoughtable release model and cycle and everyone would be happy. But
that's not the case. So, if a proposal is unworkably please tell us, as
well as your other concerns.

In my first post I tried to summarize all advantages and disadvantages
of the different release models. Did I miss a point, than please add it.
And I'm also fine with a static release model, but I think such a light
rolling can have a lot of advantages.

Thorsten