[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Jun 14 15:43:45 CEST 2011

Le mardi 14 juin 2011 à 07:55 +0200, Thorsten van Lil a écrit :
> Am Montag, 13. Juni 2011, 23:28:04 schrieb Renaud MICHEL:
> > On lundi 13 juin 2011 at 23:06, Thorsten van Lil wrote :
> > > A rolling release has following advantages:
> > > 1. the distribution is always up to date (also hardware support)
> > > 2. no re-install over and over again
> >
> > I don't get it why people think a re-install is necessary.
> > My current computer was installed with mandriva 2007 (don't remember if it
> > was .0 or .1), it is now mageia 1 and has been updated to all intermediary
> > mdv releases.
>
> An Upgrade is nearly the same, than reinstalling. The difference is only, that
> you can use your system in the mean time and you are not forced to install the
> missing packages.

Rolling is just the same as upgrade, except it take X months to do it
with a small change everyday instead of having thing upgraded every X
months.

> > > This could look like this:
> > > Bring up a release once a year. The core (kernel, glib, ...) will only
> > > get  minor updates. Apllications like firefox, libreoffice, ... will
> > > always be up to date (rolling). Maybe also the desktop envirenments
> > > could be rolling but this is very heavy.
> >
> > If I understood correctly, that is exactly what the backports should
> > provide, new versions of programs when possible (no update of half of the
> > core system libraries).
> >

> Yes, but Backports are not officially supported and we wouldn't advice new users
> to backports normally.

I am sorry, but I fail to follow your reasoning.

Why wouldn't you do a comparison where in one case not recommend
backports, and in the others, recommend them for the whole system ?

If this is for ressource related reasons, why would we have the
ressources in one case and not in the others ?

And as I said in another mail, if people want to follow arch linux and
do a better job, maybe they should start to explain what are the weak
points of the distribution and then do proposal on stuff that can be
done better instead of asking to copy cat hoping this would be better.

--
Michael Scherer