[Mageia-dev] Lib policy change needed ?

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Wed Jun 15 10:44:25 CEST 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Dexter Morgan wrote:

> the last BS breakage makes me thing that we should adjust our
> packaging policy and add only one lib per lib package.
>

> On our last BS breakage we had as error :
>

> A requested package cannot be installed:
> seahorse-2.32.0-2.mga1.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied libgp11.so.0()(64bit))
>

> because libgp11.so.0 was in libgcr0 but disappeared.

This was of course a packaging error, the version postfix in the package
name should have been modified.

> WDYT about this new policy ?

Fine with me, always considered it strange when the lib version in the pkg
name does not correspond to major version of some of the libraries in a
package. I agree this policy change or clarification (if followed) will
likely prevent such mistakes in the future. And it should not cause any
problems since we have automatic library provides and dependencies.

     Christiaan