[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion - messages from the forum

lebarhon lebarhon at free.fr
Thu Jun 16 19:59:14 CEST 2011

Le 16/06/2011 19:57, lebarhon a écrit :
> [...]
>> for 4 years.
>>
>> So at the same time, mageia would be in 3 mode :
>> - The LTS
>> - The common release
>> - The cauldron.
>>
>> With that kind of stuff, you should have no more than one release for
>> public at a time, and just one LTS.
>> If you update main software(we could define a list of no more than 20
>> software) people who are crasy about new function, or developper who
>> need tham to develop new stuff would be happy.
>>
>> BTW : I think mailing list are totally outdated and that mageia
>> should have a special section in this forum for these discussion, or
>> maybe another forum.
>> It's totally impossible for people who want to participate sometimes
>> to follow you emails everydays. It's much faster to read some topic
>> on a forum than dozens emails. And your final user should be able to
>> know what happen easily. It would be a big + in front of others
>> distributions.
> by *claire
> <https://forums.mageia.org/en/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=448>*
> » Jun 16th, '11, 14:27
>
>     pmithrandir wrote:On my side, I think mageia should do a "mix" of
>     others idea.
>
>     I would say :
>     - A release every year.
>     - During this year, a way to update some popular stuff (firefox,
>     chrome, libreoffice...)
>     - During this year also a way to add some new package if needed or
>     if there is some instant success for a new software.
>
>     Every 3 years, the release is LTS and that mean it would be
>     maintain for 4 years.
>
>     So at the same time, mageia would be in 3 mode :
>     - The LTS
>     - The common release
>     - The cauldron.
>

> I completely agree with this. There is no real need to rush releases
> as long as new versions are easily available. I know backports repo is
> available but its not very user friendly. As an example, the newer
> versions of Openshot video editor have a very nice feature of being
> able to do animated titles. To be able to use them you need Blender
> 2.5. Whilst Mageia includes Openshot 1.3.1 (which errors with missing
> plugins btw) which at time of writing is current it still has Blender
> 2.49b.
>
> It would be useful if there were a nice user friendly way to upgrade
> Blender when it is backported. Something to let ordinary users know a
> newer version is available and a simple click to upgrade it.
>
> LTS releases in Ubuntu IMHO are a great idea and one which would add
> value to mageia as a potential server/business OS where stability over
> time is crucial.
>
> I dont think Joe Bloggs really cares about a 6 monthly distribution
> upgrade, only that new versions of the software they use are easily
> obtainable in the mean time and won't break the distribution upgrade
by *roadrunner
<https://forums.mageia.org/en/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=468>* »
Jun 16th, '11, 15:35

    claire wrote:

        pmithrandir wrote:I dont think Joe Bloggs really cares about a 6
        monthly distribution upgrade, only that new versions of the
        software they use are easily obtainable in the mean time and
        won't break the distribution upgrade when it comes around.

Speaking as a typical "Joe Bloggs", all I'm interested in is keeping my
applications up to date with the occasional distribution upgrade. I'm
not interested in regular release cycles because I feel that this leads
to "rush-jobs", which in turn, leads to bugs galore. I'm more interested
in a solid reliable distribution upgrade on the "it'll be ready when
it's ready" basis.

.\\artin
- Mageia 1 32-bit - KDE SC 4.6.3 -
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU -