[Mageia-dev] Question about backports: calibre (bug 1659)

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Fri Jun 17 06:56:12 CEST 2011

>So what I propose is that you seriously consider packaging your application for Mageia.
>We find a mentor for you to apprentice with, to familiarise you with the process.
>In choosing a mentor, it would help to find someone in the same time zone.
>You're in Canada ?  What time zone ?
>(I'd offer to mentor you myself, being also in Canada, but I'm not yet a full packager.)

André,

No matter what my e-mail address is, I am not in Canada, but in Romania.

Anyway, I'll think of packaging once I fix some other issues. Right now I'm investigating a very peculiar crash in KCharSelect (an upstream issue), which actually means KCharSelect crashes when a bad font is used (DejaVu _is_ having some bad issues). As I am not familiar with Qt4/KDE development, it's a kinky issue. And the bug is not where it seems to be. (I can't report the bug right now, but if you want details, ask me.) I am stunned that such an application like KCharSelect can crash such badly and nobody fixes it (yes, to reproduce the bug you must know to identify the actual conditions, however there are some upstream bug reports about this crashes, poorly defined). This being said, CharMap in Windows _never_ crashed, in no version of Windows, whereas KCharSelect _always_ crashes, from KDE 4.0 onwards. If I won't be able to pinpoint the bug (yes, I want to fix it), I might reconsider one more time using KDE4 (hence Linux) on my laptop, as this is
 utterly ridiculous to have KCharSelect crashing like shit (ask me and I'll tell you how to crash it on _any_ distro) and nobody doing anything! Millions of Linux users and developers!

>When I started, I was able to package my favorite application to start with, hopefully you can do
>the same, if it's not too complicated.  (Since you indicate that it doesn't have dependancies
>to/from other packages, I suspect that it would be relatively straight-forward.)

It needs Python 2.7 and whatnot, but this is not an issue. (I've packaged some RPMs in 2009, just not for Mandriva, for EL5-compatible distros.)

R-C