[Mageia-dev] Firefox 5

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 03:35:08 CEST 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:17:57 -0400, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Caveats:
> - QA is too small, and it'll take time/effort to get through the
> backported packages requiring tests, unless you depend on the user
> asking for the backport to have tested the package properly, the user
> will say it works if it works on his box for the arch he's using, he
> won't do both archs, not just because he's lazy, but maybe he has one
> Mageia box for example
> - Sysadm team is already overworked with many other tasks, meaning the
> packages requiring a move will rot for a while in backports_testing.

Once QA team members can push the packages from testing to updates or
backports, the sysadm team won't have to get involved.

> Now compare that to what's used in e.g. mdv:
> - User asks for a backport
> - Packager submits the backport and closes the report

Just today, in alt.os.linux.mandriva, there was a user complaining that
firefox 4 wasn't available.  When it was pointed out that it's been
in backports for quite a while, the response was that using backports
"broke" his system.  Hopefully Mageia backports won't get that type
of reputation.  One way to help with that, is to ensure that all
backports at least have some qa testing.

I understand your concerns.

My proposal is to use the backports testing, and see if the qa team
can keep up.  If not, having the package pushed directly from cauldron
to backports, or release/updates could be opened up later.  Nothing
is being fixed in stone here.

Regards, Dave Hodgins