[Mageia-dev] Update of backport, policy proposal

Marianne Lombard marianne at tuxette.fr
Fri Jun 24 15:41:13 CEST 2011

Le 24/06/2011 13:42, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2011/6/24 José Jorge<jjorge at free.fr>:
>> Le vendredi 24 juin 2011 02:15:03, Michael Scherer a écrit :
>>> Last solution, declare that cherry picking is not supported, or that
>>> people are on their own, and explain the reason. However, people have
>>> been asking this, and recommend this. This would also be against a goal
>>> of having confidence in the backports.
>>>
>> I have always used backports in a total way : if I want latest software
>> against stability, I take them all. Think about little dependencies that still
>> exist (vlc + ffmpeg, etc).
>>
>> So I would say Mageia has two update modes :
>>
>> - end user (security) mode (updates)
>> - power user (let's try everything) mode (updates+backports)
>>
>> Each user  will recognise himself in one of the two modes.la
> So, where do I find myself in this scenario?
>
> I do not use backports in general, they are disabled.
> A new version of foo is coming in in cauldron and I want to use it in Mageia 1.
> A friendly packager builds a backport of this new version of foo for Mageia 1.
> I enable backports, do "urpmi foo" and I get the version from
> backports including dependencies.
> After that I disable backports.
>
> This is the way backports have been used by many users in Mandriva.
> And (BTW) this is the exact meaning of the word, a version is
> backported from a newer distrib-version or cooker/cauldron to an older
> distrib-version or current stable version.
I use a few backported package on a Mdv install (please, don't lapidate
me, I have 2 mageia cauldron at home). To easily update them, I have
made a small and ugly bash script.
It can propably being optimised, clean, etc. I run it manually times to
times .

Regards

[jehane at mdvbox]$ cat update-backports.sh
#!/bin/bash

# Add here your package, for each repository
# Main backports package
pkge_main="firefox"
# Contrib backports package
pkge_contrib="fusioninventory-agent";

echo "Script for updating package present in non-activated repositery"
echo "Only for distribution using urpmi"
echo ""
echo "List of checked package"
echo $pkge_main
echo $pkge_contrib
echo ""

# Must be launch as root
if [ "$UID" -ne 0 ]; then
     echo "Need to be root"
     exit $E_NOTROOT
fi

# Updating repos
echo "Updating backports repository"
urpmi.update "Main Backports"
urpmi.update "Contrib Backports"

echo "Updating package"
for package in `echo $pkge_main` ;
     do urpmi --searchmedi "Main Backports" $package
     done

for package in `echo $pkge_contrib` ;
     do urpmi --searchmedia "Contrib Backports" $package
     done

--
Marianne Lombard (Jehane)
Mageia User - Mageia french translation team