[Mageia-dev] Proposal of a backporting process

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 27 21:17:22 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 25/06/11 23:16 did gyre and gimble:
>> we
>> always say that backports should mainly be cherry picked, but not
>> enabled all the time... so how does installing a new version of e.g.
>> wine break the user's system when he can easily back out that rpm?
>
> I a not sure that most people realize they can revert. Maybe a easier
> interface to do that could be offered ( along maybe with a tool that
> send feedback on why it did downgrade it ? ).

I've seen various ppa-purge commands being dished out for custom PPAs on
Ubuntu. It looks like quite a nice idea, but only really applies for
individual use archives (e.g. help us test the development version of
$foo), not a general purpose one like "backports".

That said, a GUI which detected that certain packages have come from
backports and offers and easy mechanism to "switch" back to the older
one from release or updates would, IMO, be a plus.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]