[Mageia-dev] Proposal of a backporting process

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Wed Jun 29 10:56:27 CEST 2011

mercoledì 29 giugno 2011 alle 00:23, andre999 ha scritto:
> A leaf package is a package that is not required by any other package.
> But leaf packages will always require something else.
> If B requires A, then A is not a leaf package, even though B could be.
> When backporting B, we test to make sure that it works with release A.
> Obviously it restricts what can be backported, but the trade-off is that backports will
> (almost always) work, and they won't break anything.

Well my point is i often backport something for my job (for the most
commoncpp2 now, ucommon in future), and since they are libraries i can fall
in errors. I always tested before backporting though, and i haven't had any problems
upgrading, but that's me and i could have been lucky.

If we can accept some exceptions from time to time, but proved (bug open, testing
and updates/backports etc) i can think to have mageia not only at home or in a virtual
box. Otherwise i can't see the need of backports, for me of course.

Angelo