[Mageia-dev] Some links in /etc

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jun 29 11:50:24 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Cazzaniga Sandro at 29/06/11 10:32 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> can someone tell me the utility of the following links:
>
> - /etc/mandriva-release (-> mageia-release)
> - /etc/mandrakelinux-release (-> mageia-release)
> - /etc/mandrake-release (-> mageia-release)
> - /etc/redhat-release (-> mageia-release)

These are various files that has built up as a tradition over the years.
Several external systems (e.g. generic installers etc) check for this
/etc/*-release file to determine which distro they are on in order to
customise certain things to fit in.

These files are provided such that external systems can do their thing
in a manner that makes sense.

I'm not sure if some of the older files (i.e.mandrake*) could just be
dropped without too many problems, but I suspect this to be the case

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]