[Mageia-dev] Please test: initscripts+systemd in updates_testing

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Wed Nov 2 01:05:39 CET 2011

Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Tuesday 01 November 2011 13:24, Michael Scherer wrote:
>
>> I suggest to re-read the other mails of the thread, especially the one
>> where I give this url :
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/fedora-devel/msg158642.html
>>
> I have read the entire thread on the Fedora list, every message, including that specific message, and I have done the same for this thread here and my question is not answered.
>
> So I'll ask again: what substantial benefit do I get by having / and usr on the same filesystem / partition?
> I can agree to some extend on moving /*bin and co. to /usr, But what is the benefit on requireing /usr NOT to be a separate filesystem?
>
> Judging by this thread and the Fedora thread I am not alone on having seriosus doubts on this issiue.
>

>> ( PS: please try to not insult others with saying thing like "most
>> stupid thing ever performed" ).
>>
> I'm sorry if someone feel trampled upon, but when I see something which I really do think is stupid and idiotic, I reserve the right to say so. If someone can't handle that, tough luck!
>
> Note: I am not, nor have I called anyone stupid or an idiot. I am calling this filesystem requirement change stupid and idiotic. There's a difference. :-)=

No offense intended, but you don't see a slight advantage of not having
to mount a separate partition, and of sharing the space available on the
otherwise 2 separate partitions, particularly if the disk space is
somewhat limited ?

Since you have read the reference, you didn't notice that the option of
separate partitions is _not_ precluded ?
 From what I understand, having separate partitions wouldn't be
essentially (if at all) any more complicated than it is already.

Historically, I would imagine that having separate /usr (and other)
partitions was probably more driven by limitations of disk space and
performance problems than anything else.  (/home being an exception.)

However if one has / and /usr on the same partition, combining /bin,
/sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin would certainly be a lot simpler than it
is now.

I never could understand why the complication of separate /bin and
/sbin, and never appreciated the gymnastics of different commands with
the same name to handle root/non-root permissions for certain commands.

To me, avoiding unnecessary complication by design is a big plus.

Regards :-)

--
André