[Mageia-dev] HEADSUP: New initscripts and systemd

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Nov 4 18:00:14 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 04/11/11 15:28 did gyre and gimble:
> On 11/04/2011 07:01 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> New packages. I don't envisage any problems, but just figured I'd send a
>> headsup anyway just in case.
>>
>> Please note that you'll need both packages for X to not stop about 3
>> mins after your login and/or hang your boot. I didn't put in specific
>> conflicts etc. as that would have meant a little more care from myself
>> with the build system submits and it's a relatively soft requirement.
>>
> Well, that explains why I can't boot after updating this morning.  I get
> tons of messages about "system cannot allocate temporary file", and it
> eventually stalls (but responds to magic keys).

Interesting....

> I have initscripts and systemd installed, but when I try to install
> systemd-sysvinit it wants to remove sysvinit.

That's expected. But if you don't want to use *only* systemd, then you
probably don't want to install that package. To choose which you use,
just pass "init=/bin/systemd"  on the kernel command line (before
nokmsboot if you have it) in order to boot with systemd.

> Note that I haven't done anything about systemd one way or the other, so
> what's installed is what an install around September/October installed,
> plus --auto-select updates since then.
>
> Any ideas ?

Not yet... looking into it.