[Mageia-dev] HEADSUP: New initscripts and systemd

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 4 18:33:52 CET 2011

On 11/04/2011 01:15 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 04/11/11 17:09 did gyre and gimble:
>>
>> To follow up, I just did a fresh install, and the new system doesn't
>> have the problem, so it looks like an upgrade issue.  I have the failing
>> partition still on the side if you need any info....
> There is indeed a bug in the rc.sysinit as JA Magallon said.
>
> As the fresh install is using systemd, it likely masked the problem.
>
> If you update the failing partition to the latest initscripts I've just
> submitted and retest it that would be great.
>
> If it doesn't boot enough to be able to install packages easily enough,
> you could either.
>
> a) mount that partition from another install and use rpm --root to
> install the new package, or.
> b) Boot it with init=/bin/systemd on kernel cmd line which will
> hopefully be enough to boot and then update packages and then reboot
> without systemd to test it.
>
> Hope that makes sense and sorry for the hassle.

Actually, I spoke too soon.  The fresh install didn't exhibit the
problem, but after I ran my post-install customization script and
rebooted, it did.

I'll try to update initscripts.

One of the things my script does is create a couple of symlinks in
/etc/init.d to initscripts of my own, and issue chkconfig --add /
chkconfig on for them.  Might this cause the problem ?

The other thing I notice is that if I Magic-R-S-E, VC1 (which was hung
with console messages) clears and a getty prompt comes up.  I'm able to
log on as root, but the root fs is mounted read-only.  That might be the
cause of the "cannot allocate" errors.  A df shows that none of my fstab
mounts are there, so /tmp would be the /tmp in the rootfs (and not a tmpfs).