[Mageia-dev] Updating a new install is too long...

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Sat Nov 5 16:34:53 CET 2011

Op zaterdag 05 november 2011 16:24:17 schreef Pierre Jarillon:
[...]
> Then it is too much to be stored in a cheap DVD.
> IMO, when the size of a branch reaches such a size, an updated release
> should be issued. Remember that a lot of people have a slow link to
> internet. Mandriva did such updated releases which all work better than
> the original, improving the confidence in the distro.
> Today, a woman who has installed Mageia alone and for the first time, said
> me that update is so much long that she thought the distro was broken.
[...]

If we were to use the updates directly when installing (ie: not install first
then update, but use updated packages at install time), we could even say,
have an "Update CD/DVD", which just contains the packages in question and use
that instead of eg: mirrors...

This would effectively solve the problem even when not rereleasing mageia. It's
true that Mandriva did .0 and .1 but they also had yearly release and not
9months...