[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

Anssi Hannula anssi at mageia.org
Tue Nov 8 15:33:42 CET 2011

On 08.11.2011 14:59, José Jorge wrote:
> Le mardi 8 novembre 2011 09:05:25, Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :
>> Same BIG problems here. DVD default installation is de facto BROKEN.
>> Please don't use radeon fb driver.
>> There were bugs on it on our bugzilla.
>>
> Which ones? On my hardware, missing the firmware does NOT disable free radeon
> driver : it only disables acceleration. I use this as a feature daily on a
> laptop which video memory is partly corrupted, so I am really sure that at
> least on pre 2xxx hardware it works (x300/x600/x700/x1300).

I'm not commeting on anyone's specific issues, but just a reminder to
all participants on this thread:

There are *two* sets of radeon firmware, both of which are needed for
full operation.

1. The "regular" firmware files (CP, ME, PFP,...) for all cards.
2. The so-called RLC firmware, used by R600 and newer for IRQ handling.

(I don't know the specific problems caused by missing one of these firmware)

They are currently divided in two packages:

1. kernel-firmware
   - regular firmware for R100-R700 series.
   - in main section
   - included in free medias and installer

2. radeon-firmware
   - RLC firmware for R600 and newer
   - regular firmware for newer cards, i.e. Evergreen and up
     (i.e. those that are not in kernel-firmware)
   - in nonfree section
   - not in free medias/installer

All of the files will now be moved to the radeon-firmware package, into
nonfree section.

--
Anssi Hannula