[Mageia-dev] Debugging boot times

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Nov 9 00:48:24 CET 2011

Hi,

I've just pushed bootchart to the build system.

If you want to get a nice log of how things work, just install
bootchart-daemon and then boot with the kernel command line:

init=/sbin/bootchartd

If you normally need init=/bin/systemd, then use instead:

init=/sbin/bootchartd bootchart_init=/bin/systemd

Once you've booted, you can analyse the chart info via running
"bootchart". This will create a bootchart.png file which we can then use
to help diagnose problems etc.

At the moment on my system, waiting for network-up is causing some
slowdowns for example. I don't need the network to be up to be able to
login (on my system) and thus I'd rather display gdm sooner rather than
wait. Useful stuff.