[Mageia-dev] Debugging boot times

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Nov 10 13:39:16 CET 2011

On 11/10/2011 07:06 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 10/11/11 11:43 did gyre and gimble:
>
>> If the network isn't up when the dm launches, and you get your hostname
>> via DHCP, then $HOSTNAME is wrong on the desktop, no ?
> Perhaps but IMO a HOSTNAME env var is a generally dumb idea anyway (I'm
> sure some would disagree, but really is $HOSTNAME really much different
> from HOSTNAME=`hostname`?)
I agree, but unfortunately, bash PS1 \h doesn't, and neither did the old
GDM themes that showed hostname (although in their case the hostname
probably hadn't been set because dm didn't wait for network-up).

Considering that modern networks come up in a fraction of a second,
having dm depend on the network shouldn't really affect perceived boot
time.  Maybe a better solution would be to have dm wait for a separate
target like "dm-proceed", and let the network scripts for slow networks
like dialup flip it prematurely if they like.  In other (most) cases, it
could be flipped at the same time as network-up.