[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Thu Nov 10 14:45:31 CET 2011

Frank Griffin a écrit :
> On 11/10/2011 02:25 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>> In other words, you would prefer to have non-free drivers to remain
>> in the "core" tree because otherwise some hardware may not work? (Did
>> i understand you correctly?)
> If we're going to have core and non-free to begin with, then non-free
> stuff shouldn't be in core.  That being said, it isn't the problem
> here.  The problem is that non-free isn't as available as core.  It
> should be, based on prompting the user during install.  Those who want
> a totally free system that lacks non-free functionality just have to
> say no.
>
> If it makes a philosophical difference, then have no default and
> require the user to explicitly answer yes or no, and get treated
> accordingly.  Putting non-free stuff in core is an attempted solution
> to the problem that enabling and using non-free in an installed
> core-only system is much more complicated than it ought to be.  By the
> time a user boots his installed system, non-free stuff should already
> be there if he wants it there.

I agree totally.
Why would someone wanting to avoid non-free at any price want to impose
that on others, particularly for such key factors as drivers and firmware ?
Doesn't sound very respectful of freedom in my mind.
I can understand if it were regarding less critical components of the
system.

--
André