[Mageia-dev] qemu new upstream release (1.0-rc1) and should we move from qemu-kvm to qemu?

Kamil Rytarowski n54 at gmx.com
Wed Nov 16 04:32:12 CET 2011

On 14.11.2011 14:53, Buchan Milne wrote:

>>>    ( and given the discussion
>>>
>>> on ml, it should be soon )
>> When I ask the developers, they don't know if qemu will include the
>> patch at all and when (now or after one year) and they suggested to do
>> the openSUSE way (today the most recommended and full featured Linux
>> distro for GNS3).
> [...]
>
>> OK. So if gns3 can't be fixed for the stable - than should be removed
>> from the repos (for ISOs is to late).
>>
>> If we don't provide qemu patch, then gns3 should be removed from
>> Cauldron as well.
>>
>> I believe removing GNS3 is better than keeping it broken and.. irritate
>> people (I don't count the opinion of our quality). Later some 3rd party
>> repos can provide GNS3 and its dependencies.
> You seem to imply that the only use of GNS3 is with this qemu patch.
It's possible to simulate and play without qemu. (btw newer alpha
release version supports in the same way VirtualBox)

It should be "Suggested" by GNS3, but then what is the idea of
suggesting qemu that isn't working at all? I simply don't know why to
distribute a program that provides support in GUI for something that's
not working.

People can try to waste their time and configure qemuwrapper with our
qemu... it's just a matter of time for a bugrequest on our bugzilla.

In my opinion if we provide an application with so exposed (visible)
support for working with qemu and we don't provide qemu itself then our
quality of packages get lower.
> But I used GNS3 with just dynamips, and this issue of GNS3 not being
> usable at
> all due to missing dynamips can really be solved quite quickly just by
> shipping dynamips to updates.
Yes.
> But, it looks like someone blindly imported gns3 and dynagen from
> Mandriva
> without even understanding the use of these tools:
>
> $ rpm -q --suggests dynagen
> dynamips>= 0.2.8
> xterm
>
> (dynamips isn't explicitly required to be installed on the host with
> gns3 or
> dynagen, as the hypervisor can be run on a different host than
> dynagen/GNS3).

In theory yes.