[Mageia-dev] No boot after installation

Michel Catudal michelcatudal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 13:44:33 CET 2011

I have encountered this issue when I installed the released mageia. I think I had a similar issue with Ubuntu.
No such issue with Fedora, Centos or Scientific Linux.

I have 3 1TB sata hard disks

The first disk has
xosl boot loader
Free Dos
gentoo
FC15

The second disk has
Mageia
Scientific Linux
Centos

The third disk has eComStation 3.1 (OS/2 Warp 4.5)

When I installed it it would give me a boot error. I found out later that grub was not installed properly.
The hard disks are installed in the right order.
I did notice that xosl sees the reverse order for the 2nd and 3rd disk. When going in fdisk the order is correct.

I then booted mageia using grub in Scientific Linux. I installed grub and it worked after that. I did notice when I tell grub to look for the boot it wrongly identified the drive as being the first one when it is actually the second drive.

I am puzzled because if there is indeed an error on what the bios returns Scientific Linux and Centos would have screwed up too.

Michel Catudal

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal