[Mageia-dev] Fresh install hangs during boot since yesterday

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 18 23:00:44 CET 2011

On 11/18/2011 05:43 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> As for the longer delay, I'm not 100% sure. I don't know much about
> the radeon drivers, but it would be easy enough to tell your
> plymouth-quit-wait.service to not start which might help "systemctl
> disable plymouth-quit-wait.service" If you do not use LVM or anything
> else "exotic", you can likely also call "systemctl disable
> udev-settle.service" too which might speed up your boot. Not got an
> immediate ideas yet, as I've been out the loop for the last week or so
> getting my head down at work. Col

OK, after the latest fresh install, I booted a rescue disk, chroot'ed to
the mounted new root partition, and disabled those two services.  The
first boot of the new system still got the looong delay.

One thing I noticed is that the Mageia splashscreen comes up initially,
disappears after a few seconds as if X is going to come up, the screen
then goes from dark-blank to pitch-dark, and then the splashscreen comes
back.  It is then that the slooow progression of the progress dots begins.

On the second boot, there is no reappearance of the splashscreen.