[Mageia-dev] oxygen-gtk needed by gtk+2.0?

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sat Nov 19 22:04:02 CET 2011

eatdirt a écrit :
> On 18/11/11 15:34, John Balcaen wrote:
>
>>> I tried to remove it the hard way, rpm -e --nodep, and all my gtk
>>> windows
>>> work good. So, are you sure about this? Maybe if not found, there is a
>>> default behaviour.
>
>> Probably because you already switch from oxygen-gtk to another style.
>> So gtk apps are already using the theme you did choose.
>> You should reinstall it, switch back to oxygen-gtk&  then remove it
>> again to see if it's really pretty without it by default ;o)
>
> In fact, I have just tested what you said on a basesystem-minimal.
>
> 1) install libgtk+2.0-devel
>
> 2) try the most basic gtk windows from "gtk-demo"
>
> It is full of oxygen-gtk as expected, but without font :)
>
> So, it looks like a Requires basic fonts is missing (gnu-free-* do the
> jobs).
>

> 3) rpm -e --nodeps oxygen-gtk
>
> (and rpm -e liboxygen-gtk)
>
> try again gtk-demo, it works perfectly fine with simple widgets, which
> by the way are very fast.
>

> SO, I am reiterating my statement that oxygen-gtk should *not* be a
> Requires :) Why not simply do a Suggests?
>
> I am concerned about this because already on my 4 years old machine,
> the oxygen-gtk menu are slightly slower than the basic gtk. So I am
> pretty sure people with old machines won't be happy to have nice
> rounded blue slow menus.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris.

I agree totally.  I always install a simpler and faster style myself,
since I like a simpler appearance, and appreciate the speed as well.
And as you suggest, we mustn't forget that many (if not most) users (and
potential users) don't have the latest and greatest with 4 or more cores
and 8M of memory

Regards

--
André