[Mageia-dev] Changing default media names

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Mon Nov 21 00:43:54 CET 2011

Op zondag 20 november 2011 23:48:26 schreef nicolas vigier:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
[..]
> > I disagree with you here, I'm all for consistent media names that are
> > easy to complete, but "Core Release Source" is more userfriendly than
> > "SRPMS/core/release" . i'm pretty sure my dad would get even more lost
> > than he is right now.
>
> For someone who doesn't know anything about our media policy, both names
> are equaly meaningless. If we want them to understand something, what is
> needed is a description text of the medias.

no need to assume & judge me, i know pretty well that the name i supplied is
not a name we have.

> > imho "Cauldron Core Release (source)" is more userfriendly than
> > "cauldron/SRPM/core/release". at least to people who don't even know what
> > a path is.
> >
> > it's acceptable for me to:
> >  - no caps
> >  - better ordering
> >  - consistent arch adding
> >
> > but using pathnames, albeit the best consistency, is not good.
>
> Why ?

it's imho and because of the reason and example above.

> > imho we should be able in cli to use a unique identifier, but it doesn't
> > have to be the name as seen.
> >
> > if we can use urpm* commands with the path name as identifier, that's ok
> > for me too.
>
> Having multiple unique identifiers for each media is not what I would
> call user-friendly. We already have the name as unique identifier, there
> is no need to add an other one.

noone said anything about "multitple unique identifiers". be that as it may,
from a user pov: if we have name + unique_id and GUI shows name, or we have
name + description and GUI shows description is more or less the same if 1st
name is similar to 2nd description.

in short, if rpmdrake shows a short description instead of where name is now
and name is mentioned of lesser importance, i'm ok with this.

that would indeed make urpmi commands use path and rpmdrake still show
(descriptive name/description)

if that's what you mean, maybe you should've been more clear on this. then i'm
sure even Stormi agrees...