[Mageia-dev] Drakx-net or NetworkManager for Mageia 2

JA Magallon jamagallon at ono.com
Mon Nov 21 23:25:39 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:51:12 -0500
Juan Luis Baptiste <juancho at mageia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Angelo Naselli <anaselli at linux.it> wrote:
> > Well i believe there are only two distros in which it works really -that i
> > tested of course- Fedora and Ubuntu.
>
> Add OpenSUSE to the list, I have been using it with my work laptop for
> more than seven months without any issues.

And it is working for me pretty fine in Mageia Cauldron, specially for
wireless networks, in 3 or 4 laptops. I finally have been able to do things
that I had never managed to set up with net-applet:

- have a zillion (well, really like 5 or 6) wifi network setups in
  /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections and let the daemon pick one without
  the need to rewrite ifcfg-wlan0 (even automagically)
- have a wireless network being started and connected without a user logged in,
  just at system boot
- restart daemons like gmond, that do not play fine on network ups and downs
  from /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d

Setting all those things is easy from the point of view of a cli admin, you can
even copy many things from one system to another and have it working.
I vote for going to NM, and use a setup tool that writes files into
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connection for wired system connections.

And I really think that NM plays much nicer with the rest of systemd
environment than current scripts.

Just my 2 cents...