[Mageia-dev] Proposition to drop the package "pastebin" from Mageia

Kamil Rytarowski n54 at gmx.com
Thu Nov 24 10:08:11 CET 2011

On 24.11.2011 00:36, andre999 wrote:
> Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :
>> Hello!
>>
>> As a maintainer of pastebin ( http://raphael.slinckx.net/files/ )my
>> proposition is to drop it, because:
>> - it's redundand for better&newer&more featured wgetpaste
>> - it doesn't seem to be updated upstream for years
>>
>> I can maintain it, but I would like to know that someone it really
>> needs. I don't see any rational reason to ship it - wgetpaste fully
>> supercedes it.
>>
>> In its place (or next to it) I've imported susepaste. It's well
>> supported upstream and also supports screenshot (of a single window
>> or full-screen) paste feature.
>>
> In general that sounds good.
>
> Being only a user of pastebins, I have some concerns about flexibility
> of the width.  Normally when using a pastebin, one wants to make
> reference to another window.  Having a pastebin with flexible width is
> a big plus.  (Like the old wiki.)
>
> The reference you give redirects to dpaste.com, which wastes width on
> the large left margin, as well as the fixed width of the body.
> (dpaste.com is better than pastebin.com, which has a much larger fixed
> width.)
>
> A much better pastebin is Lodgit (paste.pocoo.org), which has small
> left/right margins, and fully flexible width.
> Another plus is a large number of file types.  (Conveniently ranged in
> alphabetical order.)
> They list the software used for their site at
> http://paste.pocoo.org/about/ (near the bottom of the page).

Thank you for your feedback!
wgetpaste supports multiple pastebins, the result of the "-S" command is:
$ wgetpaste -S
Services supported: (case sensitive):
    Name:    | Url:
    =========|=================
     ca      | http://pastebin.ca/
     codepad | http://codepad.org/
     dpaste  | http://dpaste.com/
     osl     | http://pastebin.osuosl.org/
    *pocoo   | http://paste.pocoo.org/

And pastebin supports http://en.pastebin.ca/
> I don't know how that compares to wgetpaste or susepaste, but thought
> you might like to consider it.

I'm not sure Fedora Paste or openSUSE Paste are better than the previous
ones, but I would ship them (and I will maintain them), because of the
constant support from the upstream.

+ the handy screenshot feature from openSUSE!