[Mageia-dev] Proposal to change default gtk3 theme back to upstream choice

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Nov 25 13:19:37 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Anne nicolas at 25/11/11 10:54 did gyre and gimble:
> Le 25/11/2011 10:10, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>> 'Twas brillig, and Funda Wang at 25/11/11 02:39 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Currently, we are selecting oxygen as default theme for whole distro,
>>> but oxygen-gtk3 is too unstable, nor seems to be actively maintained.
>>> Maybe we should change default theme for gtk3 applications, the same
>>> as upstream? Especially considering we will providing gtk3 as one
>>> major choice of applications in mageia 2?
>>
>> Yeah certainly in gnome3 this now looks really nasty now. The default
>> upstream choice was much nicer.
>
> Oxygen theme is intended to replace Ia_Ora one as it's a big work to
> maintain our own theme. BTW it needed to be renewed. Oxygen is for now
> the only one available under gtk and qt apps and gives consistancy
> between both kind of apps.
>
> Oxygen is actively maintained and one of the maintainers is using
> Mageia. So we still have bugs inside that should be fixed soon.
>
> Finally oxygen-gtk3 is now upstream so it should help a lot also for
> long term maintainance

Perhaps it's a different issue then, but Gnome-Shell today looks ugly
due to the theme no longer reflecting the Adwaita theme it was using
before... Ia-Ora was not used in there before and thus Gnome-Shell
looked fine.

I'm all for dropping Ia-Ora but with this side effect Gnome-Shell looks
really bad. Sadly I guess the Alpha will ship like this :(