[Mageia-dev] Teamviewer and X86_64 build . . .

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Nov 29 14:17:42 CET 2011

Robert Fox skrev 29.11.2011 13:24:
> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 12:20 +0100, nicolas vigier wrote:
>> You are free to try to help teamviewer fix their package to make it work
>> on Mageia, you can already do it now, there's no need to have a voting
>> system to consider it.
>>

> Sorry Nicolas - I would if I knew how, but unfortunately I am not a
> packager nor am I a developer with intimate knowledge of Mageia - I am
> simply a power user who enjoys testing the latest (cauldron) and giving
> feedback.

Ah... and there it is...

This is how most threads like this ends up...

Many users seems to forget this is a community driven distribution,
so if you want something no-one of the current maintainers care
about, you need to do the work, and stop expecting others to do
it for you (unless you pay them)...

So here is a few general points for all users to think about:

* "I am not a packager"
   - so what stops you from becoming one?
   - everyone have had to start somewhere.
   - we have packagers that takes on apprentices,
     and you can always ask questions on mageia-dev@ ml
     and #mageia-dev on irc if you get stuck.

* "I am not a developer"
   - for many packages you dont need to be a "developer" as
     upstream is doing the development, so you only need to
     be a packager and check if things are fixed upstream
     and so on.

* "I dont have time..."
   - then how can you expect others to use their own time
     to do it for you if they dont care about the thing you
     want...

Point is... our "nobody" maintainer is already overworked
with over 2000 packages to take care of. So he/she does not
want more work.

And thinking about skype/teamviewer/...
If we want to help...

They dont need to be packaged. Just start a page on the
wiki listing apps, where to get them, how to install them,
and so on...
Note! This page needs to be _maintained_ then too :)
Otherwise people can just google it.

--
Thomas