[Mageia-dev] Removing obsolete packages

Michel Catudal michelcatudal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 02:44:47 CET 2011

Le 29/11/2011 19:40, Funda Wang a écrit :

> Does the idea include removing srpm also?
>
> 在 2011-11-30 上午2:07,"nicolas vigier" <boklm at mars-attacks.org <mailto:boklm at mars-attacks.org>> 写道:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     When a package is no longer supported, without being replaced by an
>     other package, and needs to be removed from the distribution, the
>     current procedure is :
>      - move the package on svn to obsolete directory
>      - ask a sysadmin to manually remove the package from repositories
>
>     Instead of asking a sysadmin to do it, I propose that we create a
>     package task-obsolete, with obsoletes on all packages that need to be
>     removed, so that the removing of the package will be done by youri.
>     I think it would be better :
>      - anybody with commit access can do it without asking a sysadmin
>      - we can have a list and logs of packages dropped since previous Mageia
>       release, which can be useful when writting release notes
>      - users who don't want to keep unsupported packages installed on their
>       system can install the package to remove them
>
>     What do you think ?

How about putting back previously unsupported packages? The only text editor that I use is joe and someone has decided to remove it from Mageia.
I took the Redhat Enterprise version and ported it to mageia. For a while the maintainers of joe has incorporated a bug that would make it such that it would core dump if you tried to open more than one file at a time.
I am willing to maintain this package.

Michel

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit