[Mageia-dev] GNOME 3.2 or 3.4 for Mageia 2?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 1 11:48:21 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 29/09/11 19:28 did gyre and gimble:
> On http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=iso2:technical_specification it
> has:
> | Number	Description	Proposed by	Comment 	Bugzilla
> | 045.	Gnome 3.2x	dmorgan
>
> Found the schedule at
> http://blog.mageia.org/en/2011/07/17/mageia-2-release-cycle-support-and-planning/:
>     Alpha 1 : 16/11/2011
>     Alpha 2 : 14/12/2011
>     Beta 1 : 20/01/2012
>     Versions freeze : 06/02/2012
>     Artwork freeze: 10/02/2012
>     i18n freeze: 10/02/2012
>     Beta 2 : 14/02/2012
>     Releases freeze : 06/03/2012
>     RC : 09/03/2012
>     Final Release: 04/04/2012
>

> Now, the (likely) GNOME 3.4 schedule )https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree) has:
> UI freeze:	February 20 2012
> String freeze:	March 05 2012
> Code freze:	March 19 2012
> 3.4 release:	March 28 2012
>
> The last 3.2 release (3.2.2): Nov 16 2011
>

> My proposal is to use GNOME 3.4 for Mageia 2 as these freezes (to me) seem to
> integrate well.

I'd personally like to see 3.4 in mga2, although I agree the timing is
very tight.

That said, keeping development snapshots in cauldron until then would be
really nice and help upstream with feedback etc.

If we have to drop our schedule back a week but we get latest KDE and
GNOME, I'd say it's worth it. I appreciate this argument can go on
forever (just one more week and we get $SHINY), but for the two main DEs
we support, I think it's reasonable and, as someone else said, really
good for PR.