[Mageia-dev] OSS sound support

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 8 19:35:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've just pushed some changes that disable OSS sound under PulseAudio
sound profile.

If you want to use OSS apps with PulseAudio, please install "ossp"
package which I've also just submitted.

I think ultimately we'll disable ALSA OSS emulation completely and use
ossp in both PA and non-PA modes but I hear that the non-PA usage isn't
quite as nice, so I'm holding off doing this just yet.

The benefit of this is that we can remove soundwrapper and all the
various patches and kludges added for that.

We'll hopefully see some support for mmap mode in ossp soon and then we
should have a fairly robust system for supporting legacy apps (such as
some old, but still perfectly playable games) which only speak OSS.

After installing ossp, you'll have to enable it with "systemctl enable
osspd.service"

Note: At the moment, there is an issue setting ACL on /dev/dsp so you'll
need to run something like:

   sudo setfacl -m user:$USER:rw- /dev/{dsp,mixer}

after logging in until I can work out how this is done :D