[Mageia-dev] drupal - changes

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:25:55 CEST 2011

Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2011, 13:04:01 schrieb Guillaume Rousse:
> Le 10/10/2011 11:55, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> > Rename drupal-7.x to drupal7 and name drupal-8.x drupal?
> > This will lead to existing drupal installations being updated to the 8.x
> > branch which will likely break loads of things.
>
> What's the problem if it is documented, and non-destructive ? Also, you
> can wait one or two release before changing default version.
I think with server software like databases and cms we have to be aware of the
following thing:
Many people do write software depending on it and mostly it takes quite some
work to adapt that software to new upstream versions.
Just updating the database or cms may break your own software so you need some
time.
That's why we do provide postgresql in versioned lines. And that's why Debian
as server distro is doing that with many of its software.
I have seen at work, what kind of complexity aou do have when updating drupal
to a new major version (6 to 7 in that case) and I would prefer to have
several lines so people can continue running their software when upgrading
their distribution.
Ok, the Mandriva way was not to do that - with exceptions like postgres - but
Debian and Fedora do it differently (as you have pointed out).
In my opinion it's not sensible to keep to the Mandriva way just because it
was the Mandriva way and I haven't seen any logical arguments supporting the
Mandriva way, but I have seen logical arguments to adapt the Debian/Fedora
way.
Note, I'm only talking about server software like databases and cms, which
tend to break things with new major versions, not everyday desktop software.

Oliver