[Mageia-dev] OSS sound support

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Oct 12 14:50:18 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Johnny A. Solbu at 10/10/11 11:08 did gyre and gimble:
> On Monday 10 October 2011 12:02, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>> OSS support doesn't cost anything to us, so I see no reason to not
>> enable us by default like we do for years.
>
> I agree.

It does cost something. It costs a user process and it costs a kernel
module and various other bits and bobs on a running system. Either that
or it costs the pain of maintaning soundwrapper and patching all the
packages that we know to use oss sound to use it. To say it costs us
nothing is just not true.

We should also be good citizens and try to discourage the use of legacy
systems, just like we're doing with esound.

I'm all for providing the support, but I'm not convinced it should be
enabled by default. Just an option that can be enabled for users that
need it and is well documented.