[Mageia-dev] WiFi AdHoc networking

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Oct 17 12:19:55 CEST 2011

On Thursday, 13 October 2011 16:21:22 José Jorge wrote:
> hi, I am willing to get AdHoc WiFi working automaticaly on Mageia 1. For
> now, with drakxtools :
>
> - OK : connect to an existing AdHoc network
> - BAD : no IP address is assigned if no dhcp daemon is found.

I believe if you have zcip installed, it should get an IP address assigned,
however:

> - CORRECTION : launch "avahi-autoipd ethX"

I think we should be using avahi-autipd instead of zcip.

> So it does not work without CLI. So questions to have this working at least
> on MGA2:
>
> 1. Should this be done on drakxtools or network-manager ?

initscripts. See line 380 of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth

> 2. Does anyone with drakxtools knowledge think it can be patched it to do
> that?

Sure, the script above could have zcip replaced with avahi-autoipd. However,
the man page for avahi-autoipd points one at this wiki page:
http://avahi.org/wiki/AvahiAutoipd

which recommends using the DHCP plugin instead. Maybe you could experiment,
and see exactly what is necessary (sorry, all my wifi networks have DHCP
servers).

Regards,
Buchan