[Mageia-dev] texi2html

Giuseppe Ghibò ghibomgx at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:03:51 CEST 2011

On 16/10/2011 22:33, Thomas Spuhler wrote:
> On Sunday, October 16, 2011 04:05:52 am Giuseppe Ghibò wrote:
>>> My impression (from a few years back I think) is that standalone
>>> texi2html is the texlive-era replacement for tetex-texi2html.
>> It's not like this. The misalignment in having multiple versions comes
>> from having different source of packages. tetex had it's own texi2html
>> (so I guess texlive), which is certified and well QA and integrated with
>> that tetex version, so it provides "texi2html". At a certain point newer
>> versions of texi2html were placed in contrib because they were newer
>> (there were also other packages in this situation, xdvi, prosper, etc.)
>> and because of not touching the main tetex package. To handle this kind
>> of misalignment a good way to proceed would be to go in the main package
>> providing it (i.e. tetex/texlive) and try to merge the newer texi2html
>> with the new one, then redoing the tests. This often doesn't happen
>> because it takes a lot of amount of time, and require to handle with the
>> main and bigger package (texlive/tetex), and people often don't do this
>> if they are doing "snack packaging".
>>
>> The other way, which is to transform everything as "pluggable" (e.g.
>> split packages at source, so for instance not having tetex providing
>> texi2html) IMHO doesn't provide the same amount of certification,
>> because the packager (packager not necessarely means the maintainer)
>> just upgrade the version number, without taking care of re-testing, and
>> in case he doesn't know in deep about that package what he does as side
>> effect is to give away the upstream tetex/texlive certification
>> (certification that the included, so older, texi2html package works well
>> and has no flaws with the rest of the tetex/texlive distro) in favour of
>> a newer version (hoping that if something goes wrong or of some bug some
>> end-user would file a bug on bugzilla...).
>>
>> Bye.
>> G.
> Thanks for the explanation.
> It seems you are pretty versed in texlive. Would you mind to look as why
> muscore doesn't build anymore with the current texlive:
> Font metrics written on mscore1-20.tfm.
> Output written on mscore1-20.600gf (18 characters, 7172 bytes).
> Transcript written on mscore1-20.log.
> This is MetaPost, version 1.504 (kpathsea version 6.0.1)
> (../mf2pt1.mp (/usr/share/texmf-dist/metapost/base/mfplain.mp
> Preloading the plain base, version 0.99: preliminaries,
>  basic constants and mathematical macros,
>  macros for converting units,
>  macros and tables for various modes of operation,
>  macros for drawing and filling,
>  macros for proof labels and rules,
>  macros for character and font administration,
> and a few last-minute items.))
> Transcript written on mf2pt1.log.
> Invoking "mpost -mem=mf2pt1 -progname=mpost '\mode:=localfont; mag:=100;
> bpppix 0.02; input feta20.mf'"...
>
> Sorry, I can't find the 'mf2pt1' preload file; will try 'plain'.This is
> [...]
I've not an installation with the package you are talking about handy to
check myself, but you may try to add the following line to the file
`kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf` (backtick included):

mpost           mf2pt1           -
-translate-file=cp227.tcx mf2pt1.mp

(of course the file mf2pt1.mp should be provided somewhere [it's in
CTAN:tex-archive/support/*mf2pt1*]), and then recreate the missed file
with: fmtutil --missing (or --all).

Bye
Giuseppe.