[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release ldetect-lst-0.1.292-2.1.mga2

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Oct 18 23:28:58 CEST 2011

18.10.2011 22:34, zezinho skrev:
> Le mardi 18 octobre 2011 19:30:42, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
>> I dont see any changes in the above branch, only in trunk!
>>

> You are right, I forgot the svn commit. Done.
>
>> And I have one concern...
>>
>> have you checked that b43 supports _all_ the hw that wl supports ?
>> (I haven't checked it)
>>
>> If not, this change will cause a regression for those that would need wl.
>>
> Are you talking about wl closed source module driver? It does not use this
> firmware files, and do not match all the hardware b43 matches (I happen to have
> also one card that uses it, thanks to dkms-broadcom-wl )
>
> Or you talk about b43 hardware for which openfwwf firmware will not work?
> According to this pages all working b43 hardware accepts this firmware, except
> some PCMCIA which were worked on.

I'm talking about this:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Support

There are several ids that are listed as supported by wl,
but their b43 counterpart states either "untested", "partially in
2.6.39+" and so on...

And since Mageia 1 ships 2.6.38, it means switching driver in drakx
can/will break something that worked in the release tests.

Providing the openfwwf rpms for Mageia 1 is safe, and adding errata info
how to use them is also...
but changing drakx-net is not regression-free,
so I'm not convinced we should do it.

As for doing it in Cauldron, its ok both from kernel side and from
testing standpoint...

Maybe others have other opinion.

> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_devices
> http://www.ing.unibs.it/~openfwwf/
>
> I don't know if we can do better :
> 1- try open source firmware
> 2- ask for windows driver if 1 did not work?

That would be nice, but I'm not sure it's worth rewriting parts of the
installer for a already released product.

For cauldron that could be an option.

--
Thomas