[Mageia-dev] udev in initrd and/or using dracut (LVM root fs related)

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Wed Oct 19 22:08:35 CEST 2011

Op woensdag 19 oktober 2011 16:00:09 schreef Thierry Vignaud:
[...]
> I think we shall not support the mkinitrd burden only by ourselves
> If all other are switching to dracut, we may have to too
> At some point, we'd extensive changes (by Luca?) for detecting MD/DM/LV,
> dunno if drakcut is ready to replace?

i agree, however, my last brush with dracut, i don't think it's ready yet. and
on top of that, it produces huge initrds (initramfs'es), which imho slows down
the booting processes (especially on PXE network installs)

furthermore, i may be wrong, but wasn't udev actually started in the initrd? i
thought i only saw an udev-post service after initrd.

but i have no perfect solution, and mkinitrd is not maintained upstream afaict