[Mageia-dev] udev in initrd and/or using dracut (LVM root fs related)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Oct 20 02:03:29 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and David W. Hodgins at 19/10/11 22:13 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:20:35 -0400, Colin Guthrie
> <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>
>> In testing a more extensive use of systemd (i.e. using it to mount
>> filesystems etc. rather than using rc.sysinit) I've run into a few
>> problems regarding the fact that my LVM is activated in the initrd.
>
> I'm using lvm in my cauldron and Mandriva 2011 installs.
>
> I have / on a primary partition, with /usr, /var, /home, /opt, and
> /tmp on lvm volumes.
>
> I previously had /var/log on a primary partition, but that did give
> me a problem with /var/log getting mounted before /var.  Once I
> moved /var/log back into /var, mounting is ok. I have to kill
> plymouth for a run level 3 boot, and have run into problems with
> systemd timing out a mount, when an fsck has to run due to the
> filesystem mount count, but haven't taken the time to file bug
> reports on those yet.
>
> My cauldron install started out as a Mandriva 2009.1 install, updated
> via urpmi to 2010.2, then to Mageia 1, then to Cauldron.
>
> Any info you think would be useful to figure out why it's working for
> me, and not on your system?

Because as I said at the top: "In testing a more extensive use of
systemd (i.e. using it to mount filesystems etc. rather than using
rc.sysinit)..." i.e. At the moment all the mounts are handled by
rc.sysinit which do not try to do anything fancy whereas systemd takes a
more in depth look at devices and waits for udev to tell it they exist
before it tries mounting them and it's this bit that is broken (i.e. it
doesn't know the lvm drives exist due to the missing info in the udev db).