[Mageia-dev] Proposal for bug statuses and workflow

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Thu Oct 20 14:24:33 CEST 2011

Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 23:30, Samuel Verschelde<stormi at laposte.net>  wrote:
>
>> CLOSED replaces RESOLVED, because I think it's nicer for the bug reporter if
>> we "close" bugs rather than consider them "resolved" when the reason for
>> closing is WONT-FIX, DUPLICATE, OLD, etc., statuses that obviously don't match
>> the meaning of "RESOLVED".
>>
> RESOLVED does match.
>
> Beware, this is a known "false friend" in English/French (although it
> is used in a equivalent meaning as in "Je suis résolu à" or "J'ai pris
> la ferme résolution de"). To resolve is to decide firmly, not to solve
> (well, as well, but in a later meaning).

Sorry, but I think they have the same meanings in English and French.
Which isn't surprising, considering that it comes from French.
[...]
> Romain

In English, RESOLVED can refer to decision, solving, or something in
between.

In the context of a bug report, what are we doing ?
Maybe we discovered what the problem was.  Maybe we fixed it, maybe not.
But whatever the reason, the action is closing the report.
Let's avoid obtuse language,
  and simply say CLOSED.
It has the advantage of being able to give a clear reason of "fixed",
without any redundancy.

<aside>
This reminds me of proceedings at political conventions :
"Whereas ...
and ...
be it resolved that ..."
(Usually something that is never done.)