[Mageia-dev] Updating a new install is too long...

Pierre Jarillon jarillon at abul.org
Thu Oct 27 18:19:06 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 27 octobre 2011 17:16:59, Florian Hubold a écrit :
> >> You will find the volunteers who will join QA team to do
> >> the necessary quality assurance for the additional ISOs?
> >
> > Each month is not really feasible, as I believe it takes one week of
> > work to build and test an iso.
> > Doing it every 3 or 6 months could be a good idea
>
> Well, the second proposal should not really take a whole week to
> do, no? Just create an iso from $repo_updates and merge
> all those into one if there's enough space on the CD.
>
> But then, i fail to see the difference between doing a default install,
> and installing 600 updates from repos, or downloading an
> ISO with those updates.

When you have 3 or 4 machine to install, it is very different ;-)

As I made dozens of install each year, I have made a mirror of Mandriva
updates on my server. Then I need to add my mirrors (with a script) and to
remove them after. This save me a geat amount of time.
Now, I don't like Mandriva 2011 and I need to rebuild a lot of machines with
Mageia.

IMO, it is possible to create a CD (or a DVD) with the tree of updates and a
script which adds the CD, updates the system and removes the CD.

Here is the scripts used to have a mirror of updates and add-media.sh.
I use them for Mandriva. It can be a beginning. I wish to do better for
Mageia.

How to unselect the updates in the list of mirrors?
Perhaps renaming and saving urpmi.cfg? Is this clean?

--
Pierre Jarillon - http://pjarillon.free.fr/
Vice-président de l'ABUL : http://abul.org/