[Mageia-dev] E17 packaging

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Oct 28 13:07:43 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 27 octobre 2011 à 17:21 +0200, Florian Hubold a écrit :
> Am 27.10.2011 17:10, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> > Le mercredi 26 octobre 2011 à 23:12 +0200, Florian Hubold a écrit :
> >> Am 26.10.2011 22:06, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> >
> > 3) We could ship the stable part ( ie, those with a tarball like eina,
> > etc ) and provide a script to compile/install the missing part from
> > svn, since this would also free use from support/stability requirement,
> > and as a bonus, let anybody keep the newest version ( because again, I
> > doubt that e17 developpers are interested into getting old bug reports,
> > given past and current interactions ). Of course, we should warn people
> > upon installation that they are on their own, that their e17 will be
> > updated often ( for the same reason about developpers )
> > . And of course, this assume that no updated tarball are needed for the
> > stable part.
> FWIW, not all of the tarballs are releases, there are also development snapshots.

By tarballs, I mean "supported tarball with proper version", not "svn
snapshot placed in tarball", sorry f that was not clear.

> So basically we have the choice of stable, but incomplete and outdated E17,
> E17 only for cauldron users with added complexity for the distro, and no E17 at
> all?

Unless someone propose another idea, yes, we are limited to those that
are already proposed.

Or unless someone explain how we will in the same time follow our update
policy regarding version update, and keep e17 updated to the last
snapshot by not following it.

> > There is several way, and that's just the ones I can think in 5 minutes.
> >
> > But e17 is a package that we always drop sooner or later, and once in a
> > while, discovered again, and then dropped again.
> Nice to hear (after it was imported).

By dropped, I mean "packager stop updating it". See the changelog at
Mandriva.

--
Michael Scherer