[Mageia-dev] Subrel for version updates on stable releases

Anssi Hannula anssi at mageia.org
Fri Oct 28 18:17:18 CEST 2011

Hi!

Currently the updates policy [1] says that updates to a new version
should have 1.1.mga1 as release, and that cauldron should be bumped to
2.mga2 on those cases.

However, on the packages where version updates are done (e.g. wine,
flash-player-plugin, opera, firefox, chromium), doing that causes the
following chain of events on every update:

1. cauldron submission with 1.mga2
2. mga1 submission with 1.1.mga1
3. cauldron submission with 2.mga2

So the pkgs have to always be submitted to cauldron twice (unless one
skips right to 2.mga2, which would be rather confusing IMO).

I suggest we change the policy to say that package updates to stable
should use 1.mga1 release (i.e. no subrel), so that it goes:
1. cauldron submission with 1.mga2
2. mga1 submission with 1.mga1

and no extra submissions or commits required.

Then, if some extra fix is needed, one does:
1. cauldron submission with 2.mga2
2. mga1 submission with 1.1.mga1

WDYT?

[1] http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=updates_policy