[Mageia-dev] Updating ruby to 1.9.3?

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:16:24 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 06:12, Funda Wang <fundawang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After reading this:
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2011/10/06/plans-for-1-8-7
>
> We will support mageia 2 for 18 months (May 2012 to Nov 2013). But
> upstream will end ruby 1.8.7 at the time of June 2013. That means, we
> won't have any support from upstream even for security issues from
> June 2013 to Nov 2013. Of course, if mageia 2 be delayed....
>
> Should we update ruby into 1.9 so that we still have support from upstream?
>
> Especially the answer from current maintainer pascal.

I had started updated to 1.9.2 but only spent a few hours on it and
did not finish
I think it would be better to have it but I can not decide before
studying the impact

If someone wants to work on it, Patch0 can be dropped and replaced
with this option to configure:

-	--with-sitedir=%_prefix/lib/ruby/site_ruby \
-	--with-vendordir=%_prefix/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby \
+	--with-rubylibprefix=%_prefix/lib/ruby \